European Hire | Henfield Hire

European Hire

Travelling to Europe? We can help you!

Henfield Hire does allow rental vans, cars and minibuses to be taken overseas for a maximum of 28 days. Vehicles can be taken to any European Union Country, and several others in addition. Please feel free to ask us about this.

Note that there are additional costs to going overseas:

Insurance – We need to provide you with a European Travel Document (to augment our UK insurance cover), In addition to a Vehicle on Hire certificate.

Breakdown Cover – We can provide you with full cover, or if you’re an AA/RAC/Green Flag member, you may be able to provide cover yourself.

Our quotation will be based on the information you provide to us about where you are going and will be all inclusive (unlimited mileage, VAT, Insurance and Vehicle on Hire Certificate) for those countries.

If you're taking a minibus outside the UK, you do need a tachograph - you may not be let in otherwise! Minibuses built from 1st January 2005 and beyond also need speed limiters (all of ours are recent models and have speed limiters as well as digital tachographs)

Even if you are a frequent European Union Traveller, it is very important to update yourself with the latest rules and regulations that apply to drivers.

For example:

Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013.  Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

Therefore you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance (info sourced from the AA).