Insurance & Waivers | Horsham Car & Van Hire | Henfield Hire

Insurance & Waivers

Henfield’s Insurance

Is Henfield’s insurance included in the rental price?

Yes, for all short term (less than 28 days) rentals.

Insurance is shown separately for our longer term rental offers; it is possible to provide your own insurance for both short and long term rentals (generally for companies only).


What does Henfield’s insurance include?

The insurance cover indemnifies authorised driver(s) and meets UK RTA legal requirements.


What does Henfield’s insurance cover?

We cover you for claims made if you injure or kill a 3rd party, or if you cause damage to their property. Cover is also provided for loss or damage to the vehicle, subject to our terms and conditions.


How much insurance excess will I have to pay?

You will have to pay up to the excess amount shown in the table below every time you damage our vehicle.

Vehicle Category Excess
Economy £800
Compact £800
Intermediate £800
Large £800
All Vans £1000
9 Seat Minibus £1000
17 Seat Minibus £1000

Note: Accepting the Collision Damage Waiver charge reduces the excess to £100.


Are the contents of the vehicle covered by Henfield’s insurance?

Loss or damage to any transported property is not covered by our insurance. Your home insurance may cover transported items but we suggest you check this beforehand.

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

What is CDW?

CDW reduces the maximum amount of insurance excess that you are liable for to £100 (not available for 17 seat minibuses).


Is CDW included in the rental price?

No, CDW is an extra charge you can accept when setting up the Rental Agreement.


What will my insurance excess be with CDW?

Vehicle Category Normal Excess CDW Charge per day Excess with CDW
Economy £800 £11.99 £100
Compact £800 £11.99 £100
Intermediate £800 £14.39 £100
Large £1000 £16.79 £100
Small Van £1000 £16.79 £100
SWB Transit £1000 £16.79 £100
LWB Transit £1000 £16.79 £100
Luton £1000 £17.99 £100
9 Seat Minibus £1000 £16.79 £100

Is there anything that CDW doesn’t cover?

There are some circumstances where you will be liable for the full cost of any damage. These include:

  • All glass damage, including windscreen chips and cracks.
  • Wheel and tyre damage.
  • All interior damage.
  • All Roof damage. This includes damage above cab height for vans and minibuses, for example, damage caused by driving into height restrictions.
  • Damage caused to the vehicle when not on the public highway.
  • Damage caused by negligence. This can include: racing; poor driving; using the wrong fuel in the vehicle; or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Theft of the vehicle if you have not kept control of the keys
  • Acts of vandalism
  • Malicious acts
  • If you breach the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.
  • Not reporting an accident or incident within 1 hour.
  • Any further damage caused by operating a vehicle which has a fault is not covered by CDW. For example, you would be responsible for any resulting damage if you continued to drive after getting a flat tyre.


You must stop driving and contact us immediately if the vehicle develops a fault. We will assess the situation and if required arrange breakdown cover. This will help prevent more vehicle damage from occurring.

Theft Waiver

What is Theft Waiver?

Theft Waiver means you are only liable for the insurance excess in the event of a theft, attempted theft or damage as a result of theft or attempted theft. This applies up to the value of the vehicle but excludes off the road and recovery costs.


Are there exclusions to Theft Waiver?

There are some circumstances where Theft Waiver will not apply. These include:

  • Not locking all locks and security devices when leaving the vehicle unattended.
  • If the hirer did not keep the key safe at all times, or is unable to return the key.
  • Damage occurring due to driver or hirer negligence.


Is Theft Waiver included in the rental price?


Providing Your Own Insurance

We do allow this, but it is usually only corporate hirers who are able to cover vehicles on their own insurance. Cover must be comprehensive and valid for the type of vehicle hired. We must also have a copy of your insurance certificate. Please contact us for more details.